Hello KAUE Families,
We are T minus 13 days until the first student day of school at KAUE. I would like to use this communication to review all of the information that is finalized for the upcoming school year:
- In-Person vs. Online Learning - All parents have the option to choose 100% in-person learning or 100% online learning for the 2021-2022 school year. We ask that whichever method of instruction that you choose for your child, that it be a 9-week (45 day) commitment. Schedules were mailed at the end of last week and you should have received a letter and an attached schedule for your child. If the schedule was on blue paper, your child is scheduled for online learning. If the schedule was on white paper, your child is scheduled for in-person learning. If there are any changes to your desired method of instruction prior to August 26th, please contact our main office at 724-727-3421.
- KAUE Open House - The building will be open to parents and students to tour utilizing their current schedules from 9:00-11:30 and 1:00-3:30 on Tuesday, August 17th, and again on Thursday, August 19th at the same times. You should have received your child’s schedule in the mail this past week, but if you did not, you can access it live through Skyward Family Access by logging on here and clicking on the “Schedule” tab.
- Transportation - Please continue to check the district website at www.kiskiarea.com for updates regarding transportation. This information usually becomes available the week prior to the start of school when all busing routes have been finalized.
- Meet the Teacher Night - This event will be virtual again this year and it will take place on Tuesday, August 24th from 6:00-8:00 pm. I apologize, but I referenced in my previous letter that this is for parents only. This was in error, and I want to formally welcome all parents and students to attend this event. Our teachers will introduce themselves in 20 minute sessions and do their best to provide you with all the necessary information for your child to be ready for the first day of school. To view our schedule for the evening of the 24th and watch a brief tutorial of how the sessions will work, click here.
- Chromebooks - Students will be utilizing their district issued chromebooks each day at KAUE. These devices were sent home with your children at the end of the school year. Please make sure that these are with them as they enter the building on the 26th. If there are any issues with devices, we will handle them at the building level. Our district board of directors voted to waive the insurance fee for devices again this year, so any accidental damage will be covered as outlined in our KASD Chromebook Handbook. All 5th grade students will receive a new replacement chromebook within the first few weeks of school.
- Materials for School - Other than their district issued chromebook, there is not much else that students need to bring to school. Some teachers do recommend that students have a notebook or folder and obviously a writing utensil, but these are items we can provide if students need them. Each student will be assigned a locker that does not have a lock built in. We do recommend that students bring their own lock if they plan on keeping valuable items in their lockers, but this is not a requirement. Additionally, students are permitted to bring book bags to school, but they are only permitted to carry them throughout the day if they are clear or mesh. Otherwise, we would ask that they keep their backpacks in their lockers once they arrive in the morning.
- Medications - If your child is in need of medication throughout the day, or if you would like to have our school nurse have medication on hand in the event of an emergency, please contact Mrs. Perroz prior to the start of the school year and she can assist you with this process. As per our student handbook and district policy, students are not permitted to carry their own medications and/or self-administer without supervision by the nurse or trained member of our building health team.
I apologize for the long email, but wanted to provide as much information as possible since we are quickly approaching the start of school. If there is anything that I missed or if you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out to our main office or email me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I hope you all enjoy your final days of summer break, and I look forward to working with you and your children this year!
- Brain W. Swartzlander, Jr., KAUE Principal